Sunday 28 April 2013

Gender Identity

Just musing: Even if my gender identity was not actually innate (though I'm of the opinion that the evidence is definitely swinging in favour of that being the case), as something I didn't choose, it'd still be something that I'd expect to be respected.
I didn't choose to be trans. If I'd had the choice I'd have chosen cis. It's a much easier road, whether it's cis man or cis woman, though obviously cis woman is a harder road than cis man.
Certainly I'd expect people who aren't cissexist or transphobic to respect my unchosen gender identity far more quickly than, for example, a chosen sexuality like political lesbianism. For the record, I do think that political lesbianism is perfectly valid and should be respected just as much as an unchosen sexuality. I'm just making a comparison that for obvious reasons, is pertinent here.

2 comments:

  1. I do not understand transgender issues. I am a thoughtful person with an open mind who has recently been wondering why I know so little about this subject. I hope you won't mind if I read your blog and ask the occasional possibly clumsy question. It seems the best chance I will have to understand this issue short of stopping people on the street and looking like a real ass.

    I am personally very interested in issues of identity in all its forms. Gender identity is a huge blindspot for me. Perhaps this is related to the graphic I saw you post with the HUGE G and the tiny t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google is your friend, friend. If you have any *specific* questions, I'll see if I can answer them, but the basics are freely available in many places on the Web. Wikipedia isn't too bad actually, if you want a basic understanding.

    ReplyDelete