Tuesday 23 April 2013

A letter I wrote to my MP

Hello Mr Bradshaw,

My name is *****. I am a trans woman from Exeter, who has recently become homeless after losing my job and my home due to anxiety & depression caused by being transgender and the way I'm treated because of it.

I'm currently sleeping on people's sofas to avoid sleeping rough, but cannot do this for long and will soon be on the street. I have been searching for jobs and flats, but being very early in my transition and visibly trans, I just keep getting passed over for non trans people. After being fobbed off over the phone by them, I went to see Exeter City Council to see if they could house me, after being told by various people that being transgender should mean I'm in a vulnerable group and therefore should be housed as a priority. Exeter City Council told me that that I'm not classified as any more vulnerable by them than a non-transgender person, so they have placed me in band D (low housing need) instead of band A (emergency housing need).

I'm therefore about to be forced onto the streets, which I believe will be extremely dangerous for a trans woman like myself.
This seems to be a very dangerous policy and though I'm not well versed in the law, one that doesn't seem to fit with the Equality Act 2010, in which being transsexual is a protected characteristic. I hope you can help me, I'm really worried I will end up as another tragic transgender statistic if I cannot find a place to live soon.
Yours faithfully,
***** *****

(c/o ************)

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever get a reply? How is your housing situation now? :/

    ReplyDelete